I am a rather simple chick. I have no illusions of grandeur and my wishes are verging on the dulland darn right boring.
- I wish the Alien would listen to me the first time I saysomething (Not a difficult request surely?)
- I wish my cats and dog would stop shedding hair everywhere(I am drowning in their hair, people. HELP!)
- I wish alcohol didn’t give me a hangover (How can somethingso delightful be so punishing? It’scruel I tell you.)
- I wish TV adverts weren’t so bloody loud (They are at least1000 decibels louder than the programme you just fell asleep to.)
- I wish women could stand together and force feminine hygienecompanies to bring down the prices of sanitary towels/tampons (Come on, it’s arip off. I expect to see cotton wool pricesafter gold and oil prices on business news. It is clearly a rare commodity)
When it comes to my birthday I am therefore totally coolwith just a well-worded card or an e-mail or a phone call. No mess, no fuss required. I am over 40 remember. As long as Chicken Man and the Alien rememberto give me an extra hug and kiss (and exempt me from cooking dinner) I am ahappy camper.
We have a no-gift policy in our family. One of my brothers does not conform to thispolicy however and, together with his wife, always gets me the most apt and amazinggift. I was nursing the last fumes in myperfume bottle and VOILA – they gave me perfume for Christmas. I was growing crow’sfeet like ostrich feet around my eyes squinting against the Durban sun andVOILA – they gave me sunglasses. So it goes on…
This year they gave me something that I have wanted since theproduct first hit the market. Myobsession for reading has never been a secret. So, when I opened their gift to me last night, I could not contain mytears of gratitude. I have aKindle!
What more can I say? A fantasy comes true. I’ll ignore the cat and dog hairs and payfull price for tampons as I lose myself in my love for the written word on my new toy. Thank you Herman and Michaela.
|My joy cannot really be captured by Kodak but thank you Vernon for sending me this pic.|