I thought you may find the following stats, extracted from an article on Biz Community, as interesting as I did.
You can read the full article here
The key findings of the SA Social Media Landscape 2014 research study, released today by World Wide Worx and Fuseware:
- Facebook has 9,4-million active users in South Africa, up from 6,8-million users a year ago.
- Mxit, the previous market leader, fell back to 7,4-million users from 9,5-million
- Twitter saw the highest percentage growth among the major social networks, from 2,4-million to 5,5-million – showing 129% growth in 12 months.
- 87% of Facebook users and 85% of Twitter users are accessing these tools on their phones.
- Google+ growth is slow with only 466,000 active users
- Instagram has grown from 100,000 a year ago to 680,000 in August 2013.
- WhatsApp is presently the most popular app in the Android, Apple and Windows app stores
- 93% of major brands use Facebook, 79% use Twitter, 58% YouTube, 46% LinkedIn and 28% Pinterest
The SA Social Media Landscape 2014 research report, available from the end of this week, contains extensive data on both consumer and corporate use of social networks. An update to the report, providing detailed instant messaging statistics and social media forecasts for 2014, will be released at the end of 2013.